Domestic Violence Fast Track

The county court “Domestic Violence Fast Track Program” (Fast Track) was developed to ensure that both the victim and the accused receive a speedy hearing in court. Under Colorado’s domestic violence mandatory arrest policy (18-6-803.7), if an officer finds probable cause to believe domestic violence has occurred he/she must arrest the offender and transport them to jail for booking. The defendant appears in court the next business day following the offense.

A Notice to Appear is given to the victim requesting their presence the same day the defendant appears. Being present at court allows victims to:

  • receive immediate support
  • request special conditions for bond
  • leave with a copy of their mandatory protection order (MPO) or have one emailed to you
  • meet with a deputy district attorney
  • discuss a possible disposition of their case
  • begin safety planning with a victim advocate

The Fast Track program strengthens victim safety by holding the offender responsible quickly and effectively.Under this program misdemeanor domestic violence cases receive the quick response they deserve.

Domestic Violence Fast Track FAQs

Will the Defendant be taken to Jail?

In most cases, the defendant will be taken to jail. In the 18th Judicial District, a defendant may not bond prior to advisement by a judge.

How Will I Know if the Defendant is Released From Jail?

You may contact the detention facility and request to be notified when the defendant is released from custody or if you have questions.  The automated VINE system will contact you when the defendant is released if he is held in Douglas County, Elbert, and Lincoln County.

Arapahoe County 720-874-3500
Douglas County 303-660-7559
Elbert County 303-621-2027
Lincoln County 719-743-2426

Where Should I Go if I am Afraid of the Defendant?

If you do not feel safe, you may want to go to shelter.  You can tell the officer who responded to the call or you may contact:

Gateway Women’s Shelter in Arapahoe County 303-343-1851
Project Safeguard in Arapahoe County: 303-799-3977
Crisis Center for Douglas and Elbert Counties 303-688-8484 or 1-800-247-7472
Lincoln County Resource Center 719-743-2889

Should I call the police?

While you know your situation best, if you fear for your safety, you are being threatened or hurt, or a crime is being committed, YES, call 9-1-1.  A dispatcher will typically stay on the line with you, but you can always ask them to stay on the line until police arrive.

Remember – if you are in danger – call 9-1-1.

Do I Need to Appear at the District Attorney's Office?

It is extremely important for you to appear at the District Attorney’s Office as the Notice to Appear instructs. You will be meeting with the Fast Track Assistant who will provide you additional information and ask for your input in resolving the case. It will be your choice if you want to attend the defendant’s hearing at the courthouse.

If you are unable to appear at the District Attorney’s office, you must call the Fast Track Assistant by 8:30 a.m.

Arapahoe County, Centennial 720-874-8496
Douglas County 720-733-4508
Elbert County 303-621-2875
Lincoln County 719-743-2223

Where is the County Court House Located?

Read the Notice to Appear carefully. It contains the address and time you are requested to appear.

The Arapahoe County Courthouse, is located at 7325 S. Potomac St. in Centennial
The Douglas County Courthouse is located at 4000 Justice Way, Suite 2525A in Castle Rock.
The District Attorney’s Office is located at 751 Ute Street in Kiowa.
The Lincoln County District Attorney’s Office is located at 103 Third Avenue in Hugo

Is Child Care Available For This Meeting?

We do not provide childcare, you may bring your children with you for the meeting if you do not have someone to watch them, but we will not be able to watch your children while you appear in court.  You are welcome to bring a friend or family member who can watch them if you wish to appear in court.

Will I be Able to Get a No-Contact Order?

A  “No Contact Order” will be put into place at the defendant’s advisement. When you meet with the Fast Track Assistant, you may request a modification to the no contact order.  It is up to the Judge if any modifications will be made to the order.

What Happens During the Defendant's First Appearance?

The defendant will be informed of his/her rights and the Judge will review the bond requirements for change if bond has not already been established. Bonds may have specific conditions attached to them and you have the right to be present during this hearing and give your input.

What is an Arraignment?

During this hearing, the Judge reads the defendant the charge(s) and asks him/her to enter a guilty or not guilty plea. If the defendant enters a guilty plea, the Judge will clarify his/her understanding of the charge(s) and will explain the possible punishment. The defendant may be sentenced at a later time. If the defendant enters a not guilty plea, future court dates will be set.

Is There Assistance Available to Help Pay For Medical Bills and Counseling?

Yes, you may be eligible for help from a fund called Crime Victim Compensation. They provide assistance with medical and hospital expenses, counseling, some property damage, and other expenses you may have experienced as a result of the incident. The Fast Track Assistant will give you more information and help you with applying for this fund at the first hearing.

Will I Have to Testify?

Depending on what happens with the case, we may need you to testify. However, if this case goes to trial the Victim Witness Assistant will be there to support you and the District Attorney will talk with you about testifying.

What If I Do Not Want To Testify?

We will try to make this experience as easy as possible. You will be asked to tell the truth about what happened during the incident. Your testimony is very important in helping resolve this case.

Do I Need An Attorney?

A Deputy District Attorney represents the state during the criminal case. If you have questions about custody issues, divorce, or other legal issues you may contact a private attorney. If you are not sure what help you need or if you cannot afford an attorney, you might consider contacting a non-profit victim assistance organization. They cannot give legal advice, but they offer restraining order clinics, court advocacy and accompaniment, and information on divorce and custody.

Can I dismiss the charges?

No.  The decision to dismiss the case or a charge is up to the District Attorney’s Office.  The District Attorney’s Office is responsible for  charging and prosecuting cases. As a result, the District Attorney’s Office decides whether the case will be dismissed. As a victim or a witness to the case, you have valuable information about the incident, and you have the right to share your feelings about the case with the assigned Deputy District Attorney. We appreciate and encourage your opinions and participation in the criminal justice process.  We value your input about what kind of outcome you would like to see for the case and what kind of treatment or therapy would be most beneficial for the defendant.

What Are the Possible Outcomes of This Case?

If the defendant enters a plea of guilty or is found guilty in court, he/she may be ordered to into a domestic violence-counseling program and may be ordered into a substance abuse treatment program. In addition the defendant may be on probation, serve jail time, pay a fine or some combination. A sentence will depend on the Victim’s input, the defendant’s criminal history, and what occurred during the incident

How Long is the Domestic Violence Treatment Program and is it Expensive?

Domestic Violence Treatment is very individualized and based upon the needs of the defendant.  The cost varies by provider.  We encourage you to sign up for post-sentencing notification for additional information regarding treatment and its cost.

Will the Defendant Have Restrictions on Weapons?

The defendant will be prohibited from having possession of any firearms, destructive devices, illegal weapons, or other dangerous weapons during the period in which the Court has jurisdiction over him/her.

Will the Defendant Have Any Restrictions on Alcohol?

The defendant may be prohibited from using alcohol, drugs, or any controlled substance in an excessive or abusive manner, and from using any narcotic or dangerous drug or controlled substance without a prescription.

Contact Information for the Domestic Violence Fast Track Program

Arapahoe County


Douglas County


Elbert County


Lincoln County